Saturday, March 24, 2012

A New Thing


Well, it's an old thing... but new for me in Tanzania; I've started to create art a bit. I find that some things, like art and smoothie-making and hiking, take extra effort here in TZ. So, since all the adjustment have taken extra energy, those things have been on a back burner in my life. I sort of rediscovered my enjoyment of art. I also realized or remembered that the process of creation helps me reflect on who God is and what He does in me... because much of my subject matter is spiritual. Also, my pictures are a way of praying back to God what He speaks to me, and sharing it with others.

Under Wing is the piece on the left. It echos a verse in Psalm 17: "Keep me as the apple of Your eye; Hide me under the shadow of Your wings." I've been very much aware of my weaknesses as I am in a new place and a new job. So, Christ's grace and HIS righteousness (not mine) are becoming more real to me. Sometimes the best thing I can do is rest, knowing He is real and with me.

Cocoon has similar inspirations... but I first thought of it when my friend and housemate, Emily, read me her poem, Butterflies, when I was in a "dark night of the soul."

Butterflies

by Emily Henry

Cocoons-odd shapes and
off colour, hang delicately
from above.
Inside there is a struggle,
a fight, to be free of
this case that seems
to limit it.

Despite being unaware of
what awaits it outside,
it continues to move
back and forth,
pushing and fighting
in its hide
away place that cannot
deliver it.

Movement-of a different
kind-
An opening to let light
and freedom in
and something different
out.
Something new and
beautiful.
Beautiful, not only for colours
clean and bright but the
dark struggles of doubt overruled.

Used by authorization of Emily Henry.

1 comment:

  1. Love these! Thanks for sharing :)

    (And yes, art does take something extra there - but it is SO worth it in the end!!!)

    ReplyDelete