Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tulipanda Kilimanjaro! (We climbed Kilimanjaro!)

5895 meters... 19,341 feet above sea level. My mom, dad, and I climbed Kilimanjaro last week with the help of our guide, Saumu, and multiple porters including Joseph and Daudi, pictured here. (We used Ahsante Tours, a great company.) The summit day began at midnight with a moonlit climb. The night was austere in beauty, from falling stars to gleaming snow. Each step required deep breathes due to decreasing oxygen. We reached the summit as the moon set and the sun rose, surrounded by 360 degrees resplendent with light, colors, and the textures of glaciers and wind-sculpted snow. Ascending and descending we enjoyed passing through five different vegetation zones. I think I'll add more photos later. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the simplicity of hiking and enjoying God's artistry for seven days. I was also very thankful for the opportunity to spend time with our guide and porters, Tanzanians who I learned from, laughed with, and got to practice speaking Swahili with each day.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I am so glad it went well.

    About enjoying the "simplicity of hiking", that is one of the main reasons why I loved hiking the PCT. Maybe you have a longer backpacking trip in your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might:) The PCT is actually one of my thoughts for the next time in the States for a prolonged time!

      Delete