Sunday, February 16, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day!

On Valentine's Day I was on an unexpected adventure in Nairobi, Kenya. The adventure ended sweetly, with this bowl of Planet Yogurt and roses given to all customers at Nakumat (similar to Walmart) that day.
The adventure began when I arrived in Musoma. Sleep was a struggle from the start, due to mosquitoes and dogs. Then a few weeks ago I started feeling feverish and dizzy. It wasn't an awful illness, but it must have worn on me until one evening I felt tightness in the chest and palpitations.
The medical situation in Musoma is sparse and murky; there isn't much to have faith in as far as diagnosis or treatment. However, that evening I was surrounded with help from a nurse friend in Canada via Skype, her doctor friend in Dar via phone, and multiple friends in prayer via email and in person. God provides. I was less worried, but my symptoms continued. God provided again, in the person of a nurse here who made a prescription that got me back on a good sleeping schedule, a friend who covered my classes for me, and friends who prayed. Then I started feeling better.
I was urged to go to Nairobi for tests anyway, since my heart was involved in the symptoms. The doctor there was very thorough; I was amazed at how many tests could be run in a couple hours. He declared my heart healthy and said that tightness and palpitations are common when under physical or emotional stress. That was Valentine's day, an appropriate day for heart doctors... and a perfect day for frozen yogurt.

1 comment: