Thursday, August 20, 2015

Draw Near

I'm enjoying a study of Hebrews with my friends in Musoma, TZ. We came to chapter 10 this week, which is a place of summing up and focusing on the major points. I wanted to review the previous chapters first, and ended up with these two drawings.

The first shows how Jesus is presented in the opening of Hebrews: The Son of God made human, higher than the angels.

The second shows how Jesus ushers us into God's presence. He obtained the promises that God had given to Adam & Eve, Abraham, Moses, David, and Israel... the promises to make them His people, in their hearts and not just by heritage, despite their sin.

And the promises are for us, so Hebrews exhorts:

Pay attention...
Consider Him...
Draw near...
Hold fast...

It's not always the easiest thing to do, because there are lies that draw me from fully believing that God loves and accepts me... Even when I'm confused, even when I don't want to help a friend, even when I don't see how I'm useful... But then He provides His word and friends to remind me that He's the faithful one... So I keep remembering to have faith in His faithfulness... and somehow my thoughts and the actions straighten out in that experience... That's what I hear in Hebrews.

1 comment:

  1. Right on, Sarah. What wonderful teaching for those lucky children. A blessing to all. You ARE useful. Besides that, you're an inspiration to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete