Friday, November 18, 2016

My Canoe Almost Sank, and All I Have to Show for It Is This Kanga


The other Sunday my friend Karen and I went canoeing on Lake Victoria, as I've done many times. I like to canoe out away from shore and swim, because there is less risk of bilharzia, a parasite in the lake.

It was my first time steering, because my friend Ronit used to steer while I paddled. We had a wobbly ride, but it was OK. After swimming, I got back in the canoe first as Karen held it steady. Then she hoisted herself in the boat... Only as she got in, I flew out! (In retrospect I realize that I have always gotten in the boat first, but sat in the middle where I could balance the boat for the second person. Since I was steering this day, I was in the back and therefore not the right place to keep the balance.)

The canoe filled with water. We flipped it over. It scooped the water right back up as it turned. I wasn't sure what to do and started to think of swimming (a long ways) to shore with a water-logged canoe.

However, a small ferry full came by. They saw us and went off course to save us. They pulled up alongside and quickly hoisted us into their boat. Many Tanzanians can't swim, so they thought we were in more danger than actuality. The ladies covered us with kangas (traditional wrap-around cloth used over skirts, with a proverb written across the bottom), and some men pulled our canoe onto the ferry.

I thanked them, explained what had happened, and assured them that we'd be fine if they'd put our canoe (now empty of water) back and help us in. The man I was talking to found this reasonable and told the rest of the forty-some people on the ferry. They disagreed. Strongly. The whole ferry was yelling back in forth in debate over our safety. Most were sure we'd drown if we were allowed back in the canoe. It soon became clear that we were going with them... soggy and without money (nor Karen's trousers, which had been lost in the spill!)... to an island an hour and a half out into the lake!!

We weren't too upset at the change of plans. We were curious to see the island. It was such a fun day! The man who I spoke with on the boat showed Karen and me around the island, as he managed his fishing business. He also bought us tea and bread... and a kanga for Karen so she'd have something to wear when she returned the one she was borrowing! Kanga's come in pairs, so I got the other half for sun cover. He wouldn't accept us paying him back (and his family is having us over for lunch Sunday). We got to see life on the island and ride the ferry twice, on top of our lovely swim! Plus, we didn't drown, only lost one pair of trousers, gained a friend, and each have a new purple kanga with an esoteric proverb. I couldn't have dreamed up such a day. Only God has that good of an imagination:).

My only regret is that I didn't get to take pictures of it all.

4 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL!!!! Love this! Such a great-only our God-story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was quite an adventure! Great to see God's provision and protection for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! :o)
    (And what does the Swahili say, on your new kanga?!)

    ReplyDelete