Friday, January 17, 2014

First Week of School!

It's here. After six months of travels in the USA, language school in Iringa, and settling in Musoma, I am here, at Lake Victoria Learning Center, doing my job!

Here you see my four students and the (entire) teaching staff.

As I think about the week and this new job, these are some of the highlights:

  • The kids are engaged, curious, and full of personality, just the way I like them.
  • My teaching role: I lead a devotional for all four in the morning, then teach the two boys Language Arts for an hour each. After our chai (tea) break I have some planning time, science with all four, and art on Wednesday.
  • I really like Chai Break. I could always drink tea at other schools, but having it called Chai Break means that everyone does and part of the break is spent relaxing together!
  • My other role: I am leading the formation of learning center policy, to help incoming parents and teachers understand what we do here. The first meeting I led went well yesterday. It can be a stressful topic, but we were actually laughing at the end! 
  • Exciting learning this term: Reading The Phantom Tollbooth with the older LA student; Entering the creative world of the younger student's writing; Observing radish growth in science; And, designing logos for the learning center in art.
  • Each day has been fun and full, but not exhausting. I have NEVER said that after a first week in all seven years of teaching! The smaller student load and shorter day make a difference. Also, spreading out to policy work means I get to shift gears, which is energizing.

So there you have it. Week one. Thank you for your prayers, some you can see here God is answering. Praise for His love, faithfulness, and plans. Thank you for your support of me and the Bible translation that these kids' parents are working on daily.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to get this update.it's a blessing to know things are going well for you. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear it went well! We'll continue prayers.

    ReplyDelete