Friday, June 6, 2014

For Me the Bell Rings

In Downton Abbey the employers rang bells so the employees would come. In my house, not quite an abbey, it's different. When I hear the bells ring I know that I'm to come to the door to see what my employee wants. It all started when I didn't quite hear the traditional "hodi" called by my guard when he had a question. Then he tried the bells (hung by the door for decoration) and I heard them and came right away. Ever since my body automatically gets up and goes to the door at a jingle. I feel a little like a genie in a bottle... maybe because the bells are Middle-Eastern style... maybe because I appear in an instant to see what he wishes.

And yes, it is a strange experience to be an employer in my own home. It's a necessity, security-wise. It's a luxury, yard-and-dog-care-wise. It's great for Swahili practice. And to top it off, it's good and fun to have a friendly connection with these good TZ guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment