Thursday, October 2, 2014

Makuburini

Makuburi means grave in Swahili. My friend Pascaria invited me to come celebrate the making of her brother's grave. (He died in 1998, but the family was just last week able to make the sculpted cement grave cover.) I was at work during the making of the grave, but came afterward for the food part. Pascaria asked me to take photos of all the family cooking and eating. It was fun to have a job!

After a big meal of duck, rice, and soda we walked 15 minutes to the grave site for more photos. I'm pictured here with one of Pascaria's sisters and her niece, the daughter of the deceased. Thankfully, I remembered not to smile, my normal reaction to a camera, since these were somber pictures.

I appreciated being included and the opportunity to spend time with Pascaria's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment