Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Need

Ronit and I got to know our neighbor, Makwasa, and his family better when they had us over for dinner a couple months ago. Makwasa is the dad. He and his wife, Mama Deborah, have four kids. They are Seventh Day Adventists, welcoming, a nice family.

It's good to have the friendly relationship. We've brought them cookies; they've given us sugar cane...

A big cultural difference between Tanzania and the USA is that money is a normal part of relationships. It's not weird or shameful to ask for money. If someone has money and friends or family members have needs, it's normal to give loans and/or gifts on a regular basis.

For me, coming from the USA, this is strange, because I think money should not be a factor in a friendship. But I want to understand and be a part of this culture. This is also challenging, because Jesus said, "Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away." (Matthew 5:42) This sounds pretty clear, but I struggle to just do it unequivocally, partly because I am asked all the time.

And Makwasa just asked Ronit and me for help, but he actually asked if we would ask our friends, because he has a big need. He had a life-threatening stomach issue and went to India this year for surgery. (He even showed us his endoscopic photos!) Now, the end of the school year, he is coming up $1,300 short on school fees. I want to honor his request and share this need. If you feel led, I can give more information. He needs to know by Thanksgiving weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment