Monday, September 28, 2015

Maharague Malia

I got these at church, via a fun tradition churches do here...

Someone brings a physical offering, like beans or fabric or tomatoes. Then people in the church bid for it. After the first person bids you can offer a higher bid of your own, or you can just add money onto their bid so that they get it, but more money goes to the church. Sometimes people bring items for the church (like a cross for the wall) and people bid to buy it for the church.

This was my first time participating in the tradition; I was a little nervous because I wasn't quite sure how it worked, but now I understand more AND we got to enjoy eating these maharague malia (a type of bean, which, by the way, our house helper prepared in her family's style, with PEANUT BUTTER!).

No comments:

Post a Comment